Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Q: How do you know you're in Montevideo?

A: Everything is bigger in Montevideo.


Religious Effigies



Actually, though it's population is mostly Roman Catholic, Uruguay is the country with the highest rate of atheism in Latin America. Also, Uruguay is the only country in all of the Americas, other than Cuba because it's a communist regime, whose government is completely secular, thus, does not declare or affiliate itself with an official religion.


Wishbones



I'm not really sure what this is. I took this picture during our bus ride to Montevideo. I assume it's some kind of monument to a war or something, though I think it would be cooler if it were an ode to Wishbones.


Food




OK, so these heart-attack-platter things are called Chivitos, Uruguay's staple meals. A chivito is, basically, a cut of meat (let's say steak) topped with ham, cheese, a sunny side up egg and bacon. Chivitos can be served in sandwich form, as in the first picture, or on a plate, as in the second. The thing is, when you put in the order for these artery clogging dishes, they neglect to mention the crap load of sides that come included in the price. For example, in the second picture, both those plates are for me. In the end, one walks away pondering on how the hell Uruguayans manage to have one of the highest life expectancies in the world. After all, when we were done eating I felt like I had shaved off a month or two from my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment